Thursday, June 3, 2010

Your MOTHER was a lizard!

After months of waiting and several VERY long flights, our family of 24 arrived in Hawaii. Apart from Juliet breaking down in tears at the Hawaii airport while we waited for our rental cars ("Daddy, I'm sooo tired!") the trip wasn't too bad. Most of the kids napped on the plane and even the kids who screamed were usually only screaming because they like to, much to the delight of the other passengers.

Oh, the flowers! I vote the Hawaiian airport to be the best smelling airport in the world. It's not a tough competition but all those flowers made that whole island smell scrumptious.


A few samples of what we found outside our vacation home.


"Please excuse our mess. Hawaii is currently under construction. Will be completed in 50 million years." This is what much of our drive looked like on the way to the Mauna Lani resort.


Some of the wildlife waiting to greet us:



Gecko #1

Gecko #2. This guy liked us so much that we actually found him stowed away in some luggage a few days after flying back home. He was set free in the Winn home and they can now claim they are going green with their new form of bug control.

Police Bird - these guys were all over. Oddly enough I never saw any actual police during our stay.


The Great White Slug - slugs came out every night to eat the flower petals that had fallen from the trees during the day.

Also, I thought I'd add a link to my favortie song about Hawaii. If you don't recognize the singers then your childhood was very sad indeed.

More to come . . .

(Previous movie quote: Annie Winner: Ann M.)

6 comments:

Jen said...

Yay for the Jem song. I love it.

Steve said...

That song from the misfits was awesome. Very awesome.

Carolyn said...

These pictures are beautiful. Except for the one that looks nothing like that Hawaii picture I have in my mind.

Luke is so cute. Great picture of him.

Doodlecraft said...

What a great trip--the slug kinda creeps me out...
It's funny how when I was little I thought Jem was the bomb...and to see those cartoons as adults they are still the bomb! Love it!

cat.janer said...

Willoooooow, you iiiiidiot! Nailed it.
Lizard=sick
Slug=sick
Luke=pretty cute

The Maxfield's said...

Wow. A family trip to Hawaii? That sounds rough. I wish I were there!