Sunday, June 13, 2010

Some women are drippin' with diamonds, some women are drippin' with pearls.

Friday Nancy made pancakes for breakfast. Jason went to tour the island alone because I didn't want to drive for 6 hours. The rest of us made a second trip to Hilo Hattie's and all the girls who weren't with us previously got to get some pearls.

Hilo Hattie's is a giant tourist store with a fabulous jewelry counter in the middle. Here's how it works: You look through their oysters and choose your favorite one. I wanted a black pearl and the employees were amazing at predicting the color of a pearl based on the color of the oyster. You tap your chosen oyster three times, ring a bell and then say "Aloha!" I usually refrain from using that word at all costs but it really seemed magical during this process. Next, the jewelry counter friend will crack open your oyster and show you what's inside. They say fewer than 50% of their oysters contain double pearls but every single person in our group got at least one set of twins. Nancy had all the girls pick out a setting for one of their pearls, although the little girls aren't going to be allowed to wear their bling until they are older.

Adrienne tapping three times

"Aloooooha!"

Cracking the oyster

Adri got two pink pearls her first try.


In an effort to increase sales, if you get your pearl put in a setting they let you choose another oyster for free. I got one black pearl my first try and two black pearls my second try. Juliet got one white on her first and two pink on her second. Adri got one white on her second. The point is we now have six loose pearls just waiting to made into earrings.

I got matching settings for Adri and Juliet: pink pearls with rose gold. Adri picked it out.

Here's my black pearl in a white gold plumeria flower.

Here is a sample of the other pearls and their settings from that day:


Alli (I think)


Kristi

Jamie


McKenzie


Alixa

While I do avoid the word 'aloha' I found that I have a soft spot for the 'hang loose' sign. This is because, while driving home Jarom let another car out in front of us. Did he wave? Nope. "Hang loose!" his hand told us. I love it. I'm not sure why, but I do.

A few of us took another trip to the Kona temple that night. It was on this visit that I decided to start collecting temple schedules from every temple I've been to. So far I've got Bountiful, DC and Kona. It's a start.
(Previous quote: Finding Nemo, Winner: Kirsten)

7 comments:

Rand said...

How cool are those pearls in those beautiful setting? Wow!

cat.janer said...

I love the Aloha pics. Ha. Babies love it.

Thayne Cullimore said...

Oh Annie, while the Princess Bride may be the one I win at most, it is not the only movie that I know.
I believe that this one is from Annie.

Four Winns said...

touché

Doodlecraft said...

Wow! Super fun! I have always been tempted by the oysters at little jewelry shops, but haven't done it yet! Loved all your trip pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Carolyn said...

I love all the pearl jewelry. It is so beautiful! Now I have no choice but to convince Kip to take me to Hawaii and get my own...ha ha. :)

joyce said...

Hey, isn't the quote from "Annie." Old Miss Hannigan sang that song.