Sunday, October 5, 2014

May the force be with you.

So, Luke turned five. I guess I messed up in my last post because I said we had pancakes, but these candles are very clearly in a waffle.  Apologies.  Luke got a yoga DVD, some fire truck Legos, and a dump truck.  What more could a five year old want?
.

Never before has any boy been so excited to get a yoga DVD. 

 

 
I planned an awesome fire truck birthday party for Luke this year.  We started the party off with painting some wooden fire trucks, then we read a story about a fire fighter.  Next we went outside to run the fire fighter obstacle course.  Fortunately Jamie was there and willing to help out because broken leg Jason we not much use to me.  After a game of pin the siren on  the fire truck we had a real fire truck stop by to teach us about what they do.  Top that off with cupcakes and ice cream and you've you a pretty dang awesome party.
 

 
Luke and Taya rescue Fancy Nancy

We were lucky to have Luke's buddies and some cousins over for the party.

 
Plastic fire fighter hats for all!



Adri and Juliet were more than happy to help Luke try out his new Legos.


So, Luke is one of my favorite people.  He was the funniest looking little-old-man baby.  He cried, sure, but he never complained.  A bonk on the head or a nail cut too short never bothered him, which was a relief after having two little girls who could be very dramatic.


 
 
 
 
His sisters loved having a little brother from the very beginning.  I loved that they would help hold him down while I changed his diapers.



He was the most advanced of all our kids in climbing things.  He was never a fan of putting everything in his mouth, unless it was the tag on his stuffed dog, but there was nothing that kid couldn't climb.  Oddly enough he chose to never climb out of his crib.


 
Luke learned the most French of any of our kids.  I spoke pretty much nothing but French to him for the first two years of his life, stopped while I was visiting family so as not to seem snooty, then never started again.  Currently, Luke knows exactly zero French.


Luke taught his sisters not to be afraid of getting dirty.  He was our only baby to actually dive into his first birthday cake.  His hair is courtesy of his uncle Jesse.



Okay, sometimes he stuck his finger in his mouth, too.

Currently Luke's favorite color is blue and his super hero alter ego is Turtle Boy.




Luke's current favorite foods:  cucumbers, rice, girled cheese sandwiches, oatmeal, homemade bread and tortillas

 
Luke is our only kid (so far) to have broken a bone.  He broke a bone in his foot when he fell down the stairs (while playing a game where they were jumping down the stairs).
 

 Luke has survived living in a family with mostly girls, but is always more happy when there are other boys to play with.  And when he's not happy with you he will tell you that you're not in his "club."  I've been in and out of this club several times and I'm still not sure what it is.
 



Luke's first monster truck.  He has always loved cars and trucks.  He is also now obsessed with super heroes and monster trucks in general.
 
He has also always loved  helping me in the kitchen.  His favorite is helping me make bread and putting the silverware away.
 
 
 
This kid is adorable, and hilarious and nearly fearless.  And now he's FIVE.
Happy birthday Luke!
 

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

It sounds like you planned a fabulous birthday party for Luke! Nicely done. Cute pictures. I still remember when Luke and Evelyn climbed the stairs to go play in his room. Time flies!

Flying Chinaman said...

The birthday montages are my second favorite part of your blog, behind the quotes. It looks great, babe, thanks for doing this.