Sunday, October 5, 2014

No homework? Then you will have to fight the bear!

Adrienne and Juliet started June with their last piano recital for the school year.  I'm pretty sure they did a great job but, at this point in my mother-of-piano-students career, I have stopped taking pictures at every recital.  Or maybe it was because my new camera had not yet arrived and my old camera and I were not on speaking terms.

Jason's birthday was on the 5th and he enjoyed his last few weeks with a (kind of) functional knee.  You see, Jason tore his ACL and meniscus while walking down the stairs fighting a bear a few months ago and was destined for surgery later in the month.  He made sure to get in some yard work and a trip to the beach with the kids before his hospital visit.





The kids and I took Jason to his surgery and then spent the day at the dollar store, the mall, getting ice cream and playing 'mother may I' on the lawn at the hospital.  When Jason was finally done in surgery we got to visit with him briefly then were sent away to go out to dinner and get his prescriptions.  We dropped Jason off at 1:30pm and didn't get him home until 11pm.  The kids were fantastic all day, which is awesome since we'll have to do this whole thing again in November.  Turns out, because of Jason's previous ACL surgery (done in the 1900s) they could only fix Jason's meniscus and will have to let it heal a bit before repairing his ACL.  Dang that bear.

Luke's birthday was on the 20th and we celebrated with pancakes for dinner and some presents with Gramma and Grampa.  He is now FIVE and will start school this year.  I keep telling him he has to stay home with me forever.  Luke assures me that he'll go to school but come back to me at the end of the day. 

Following surgery Jason slept for approximately 3 days.  He said he would be fine to take care of the kids the next week since I would be away at girls' camp.  I was not as confident as he was that he would bounce back so quickly.  On Monday morning I left for camp (surgery had been the previous Wednesday).  By 10am Jason had called his mom to come take the kids so he could sleep.  At least we have a good gramma who lives close by and is always willing to help.




Taking a ride on the zip line with Mindi
I had a great time at camp hanging out with my friends and having other people make my meals. Girls' camp is also the time of year I realize how bizarre I am for not drinking diet coke.  Is it really that great?  I did get some flack for a silly string/seran wrap incident that I wasn't actually involved in but it all turned out okay, and now I've got some revenge to plan for next year.


With some of my favorite gals

And because I am so smart, I planned to have Luke's birthday party the day I got back from camp.  It was a little stressful but it came together really well.  More on that in my next post.


Catching the first fireflies of the season
 




Juliet looked pretty sassy with her new hair cut.

I tried to make some puppets for Luke's birthday but they turned out to just be for fun.


Superman overload

And some random pictures . . .











Quotes:

Charlotte:  Mom, Let's read the crap out of this book.

Gramma Nancy:  You have such a cute face.
Juliet:  And you have such an old face.

Annie:  Good night sweetie pie.
Charlotte:  I'm not a sweetie pie, I'm Charlotte!
Annie:  You're MY sweetie pie.
Charlotte:  I'm a sweetie pie and I'm cute and I'm Charlotte and I'm two and a half!

Adrienne (after getting everyone breakfast):  Now I know why Mom yells so much! 

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I hope Jason has recovered. I am glad you had a good time at girl's camp! I don't get the whole Diet Coke thing either, but that's okay with me. Your quotes are hilarious, as always!