Friday, August 17, 2012

Somebody help me, I'm being spontaneous!

We celebrated the 4th of July at the pool, just as our forefathers would have wanted. 

Juliet got some patriotic nails
Charlotte tried and loved her first fudgesicle

 
Luke proved that you can eat two popsicles at the same time

 
And Adri, well, she just looks like a goof in those goggles.

After much preparation and packing the gang and I headed to the airport to catch our flight to Utah.  It was a long day with a layover included.  The kids were all as good as they could be and even Charlotte didn't give me much trouble.  As an added bonus everyone on both our flights was really helpful and sweet.  One lady voluntarily grabbed one of our suitcases and walked us to our next gate.  Gramma Joyce picked us up from the airport and we spent the weekend with her.
 
Great Gramma Cunningham was visiting and we were happy to be able to see her before she went back to Idaho.

Sunday afternoon we headed over to the Winn's place to stay during our next week.  Great Grampa Winn was visiting so we made sure to spend some time with him while we were there.


Alixa and her brood were also staying with the Winns that week so we threw together some fun activities each day. 

I love that look Luke and Jenna are sharing.


We took a few trips to the This Is The Place park where Alixa made fun of me for buying such a touristy hat for my baby.  The kids were enamoured with the pony rides.  Lucky for us there weren't a lot of people in line so our kids took about a dozen rides each.

Bo and Lixi on 'Honey'

Adrienne and 'Banjo'
 
Juliet astride 'Banjo'
 
Luke rides 'Honey'

Sometimes we busied ourselves playing hide and seek

Or learning how to give a good head butt

When we weren't busy we spent some time in the pool in Gramma's backyard.  It's not quite as nice as her pool in Delaware but the kids didn't seem to mind.




We tried to visit an outdoor play area at Thanksgiving Point but got rained out and decided to give the dinosaur museum a try.

Charlotte can't quite tell what this protoceratops is looking at.

Juliet makes herself at home.

President Grampa and Sister Gramma were not around most of the time but they made sure to read the kids some stories.  Gramma even kidnapped Adri and Juliet and took them to the bookstore one night.  Then Grampa volunteered to take us out to see Ice Age 4 (I think it was 4 anyway). 

We left on a Sunday afternoon.  I opted not to go to church so I could pack and go to my mom's ward.  As I was loading the car full of not very carefully packed items, what should I notice?  It was President Thomas S. Monson's body guard standing near my car and watching the open gate behind him where the prophet was checking on his chickens.  You see, my in-laws currently live across the street from his home; he no longer occupies it but still has birds to feed and makes sure the house is in good shape.  As I walked by with load after load of luggage the guard finally asked me if my kids wanted to meet the prophet.  The kids eagerly ran out of the house to say hello.  He was very gracious and gave each of them a high five.  He asked their names, he and Luke had a cute little back and forth then he wiggled his ears for the kids and was on his way.  It was an exciting encounter and then it was off to Gramma Joyce's house where we spent the remainder of our time.

Charlotte had been going on one nap a day for a week.  She still actually requires two naps each day and so was pretty worn out by the time we got to my mom's.  She had a fever and slept through most of Monday.  So we left her at home with my mom and went to meet President Grampa and Sister Gramma for another trip to This Is The Place.


Luke made sure all the pigs got hugs.
 
Can anyone guess what happened exactly one second after this picture was taken?


The girls pet the goats and then attempted to pan for gold.



 
Eureka!

They all loved riding that miniature train



We could tell this was this beginning of an awesome month.

Quotes:

Pres. Monson:  What's your name?
Luke:  I'm Luke!
Pres. Monson:  Hi Luke, I'm Tom!
Luke:  Hi Tom!


To be continued . . . .

(Previous Quote:  Mulan)

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

It was so good to see you and to hear about your trip. From looking at the pictures, I can see that it was a lot of fun! I love all the new pictures of your kids at the top of your blog and on the sidebars. Very, very cute. your children are adorable!